Skip to main content

Random thoughts from Woolworths

I am sitting at Woolworth's having lunch after shopping for home goods and a few groceries. Lunch is delish. I am fully convinced that I could live in South Africa by Woolies alone. I love everything about it, especially their marketing department. They cater directly to me, I'm just sure of it. I love the colors and lighting in their stores, the fonts - oh the fonts - on their signage, and their grab-and-go food that is fresh and tastes like I made a real effort with dinner. See? Made pour moi!

I met a mom yesterday whose kids go to the American school and are in tennis lessons with Quinn. We talked for a while and she asked me if I have met a lot of people since we moved here. Several people have asked me this and I can't lie...I can't lie because I can't fake the supporting information. The answer is no. I usually follow it up with, "We met our neighbors across the street and really like them, but I haven't met tons of people." (or anyone really) I don't know why this is as I am genetically predisposed to making friends at random times and places (thanks Dad). This mom proceeded to tell me that she thinks South Africans are very hard to make friends with. I'm not sure I'm ready to make that kind of sweeping statement. We miss our friends...the best friends we have ever had...who we met the very first day in our old neighborhood. I guess the thing is, when you make friends in a different country, there are normal courtesies that need to happen. For example, despite the fact that I absolutely LOVE my home country, I don't want to talk to much about it, feeding the common notion that Americans never leave America and think it is the center of the universe...a notion that really bugs me. Have I mentioned how much I hate broad sweeping statements? That's is just an example. Don't get me wrong, there are a million-and-ten very very cool conversations to have especially in a place like SA. It's just interesting that when you are with your own peeps, you automatically start on common ground. I'm American, you're American, we have that in common. You don't realize that platform is there until you live in a different country.

I sincerely hope this doesn't come across as a lack of interest in my current home. That is ABSOLUTELY not the case. I just want to fairly represent the moving overseas thing as it is not all lion cubs and avocado-on-everything (reason number 384 to love SA).

If I am being absolutely truthful, I think some of the glitter and polish is wearing off and I am feeling a little lonely (oh shit...don't cry in a restaurant sitting by yourself, Jessie). The reality is the daily routine goes on no matter where you are...kids go to school, Jake's job is challenging him (to put it politely), and I miss the interactions I had with people on a daily basis. I miss my friend Holly, I miss the morning, afternoon, and evening phone calls with my mom and sister, etc etc etc.

Some people have said, "it has to be hard leaving your job. That's a big change." Nope...I'm good! I can't even say I miss the people because I sill talk to all of them on Facebook! I don't miss the stress or the family/work juggling act one single bit. Although, a trip to a sweet international city and a nice hotel sounds pretty good....but anyway...

Being "foreign" is certainly a challenge at times. I feel so lucky to be here and wouldn't trade it for anything. Life is good - slightly lonely - but so good. Living here is outside of my comfort zone...a comfort zone that is not afraid of many things. If living in a different country doesn't challenge that boundary, I'm calling BS. I will continue to "give it time" to settle in, enjoy the freedom to sit and type a blog and have lunch by myself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Life is so hard, ma'am. Life is so hard."

I lost it this morning. I seriously lost it. I lost it so badly that I posted this to Facebook: You know what gets me all fired up? The way so many white people treat black people here. I brought Miss to the eye doctor because she can't see. The optometrist is treating her like she's an idiot. Over my dead body will we be buying glasses here. I am absolutely FUMING right now!!!!! They are words that I mean and words that were not well thought out, words that were fueled by absolutely shock and frustration and more shock. Words and frustration that felt the same as if someone had insulted one of my children. I had a reaction that got my blood boiling so hard and fast that I consciously had to keep myself in my chair and say, “Jessie…don’t say anything stupid.” I thought of my grandma Doerfler…I know what she would have done. She would have told that woman WHERE.TO.GO. As tempted as I was, I didn’t. I made Miss an appointment to see the eye doctor because the poor woman can

I think you are, but what am I? No really...

I've been thinking a lot lately about how I measure myself - how we, especially as women, measure ourselves. Let's be honest, part of our genetic make-up as the feminine species insists that we constantly compare ourselves to those around us and, most likely, consider ourselves inferior at all times. Some of it is inate insecurity and some of it is inate humility. Imagine sitting down to lunch with a group of women, your super model neighbor walking in, and saying to your friends (who are undoubtedly admiring her put-together self), "What? I'm way prettier than her." Then your friends' dilemma would be who to hate more, the super model neighbor or you, right? I guess the conclusion I have come to is that comparing myself to other people is inevitable. I just have to make sure I do it in a healthy way. If you're saying to yourself, "I don't compare myself to other people," I am calling you out right now. I would put that in the same category a

Something stinks...

...and it’s your attitude lady! I got to pick Ben up a little early from preschool today so I decided it was FINALLY time to visit the Bryanston Organic Market that is right down the road from my house. Why haven't I been there yet? Probably because it’s so obvious. It’s right there. It’s too easy. Anyway, Quinn, Ben, and I made our way through the booths which were filled with lots of little treasures...very cool. After a nutritious lunch of organic chocolate chip cookies and organic gelato (I think we really tapped into the whole organic thing...eat well, live well, blah blah blah), the boys found a sandbox to play in. I reminded Ben not to eat or throw the sand and my accent caught the attention of a lady sitting on the edge of the sand with her granddaughter and Bad Attitude (sorry...didn't catch her name). Lady says, "Where are YOU from?" I say, "north of Chicago," which I have found to be much much easier than saying Wisconsin. No one outside of t