Skip to main content

I think you are, but what am I? No really...

I've been thinking a lot lately about how I measure myself - how we, especially as women, measure ourselves. Let's be honest, part of our genetic make-up as the feminine species insists that we constantly compare ourselves to those around us and, most likely, consider ourselves inferior at all times. Some of it is inate insecurity and some of it is inate humility. Imagine sitting down to lunch with a group of women, your super model neighbor walking in, and saying to your friends (who are undoubtedly admiring her put-together self), "What? I'm way prettier than her." Then your friends' dilemma would be who to hate more, the super model neighbor or you, right? I guess the conclusion I have come to is that comparing myself to other people is inevitable. I just have to make sure I do it in a healthy way. If you're saying to yourself, "I don't compare myself to other people," I am calling you out right now. I would put that in the same category as people who tell me they never crave junk food because fruit and veggies make them equally as happy. And you're never too tired for sex either. Right.

I have a soul-mate type friend who once told me this story... She said she used to look at people she knew and think, wow...those people have it all. they are perfect. At the same time, she knew that people thought that of her. She had what seemed to be a perfect life...a big house, dream cars, a membership to the country club, beautiful children, enough money to live a great life. No doubt people admired them as "the perfect couple." But what no one knew was that, on the inside, their life was chaotic, stressful, and unhappy in many ways. If you talk to anyone you realize that everyone has something - an uncle in prison, a pot-growing brother, a disappearing dad, a round or two with an eating disorder, a foot fetish...whatever - EVERYONE HAS SOMETHING.

Our natural instincts as animals is to assess the pack and place ourselves accordingly. Men look at each other and decide if they could kick the other guy's ass (although I also think that men are almost as insecure as women...they just try harder to hide it). Women assess the outfit, the roots, the wrinkles (or lack of), the way her kids behave, the way she behaves to her kids, the cellulite, the boobs and butt, the jeans, the car, what she gives to the planet, her friends, her husband, does she wax or pluck, did she arrive on time looking fresh-faced and calm? And if she's pretty, we promptly place ourselves below her in the pack hoping that after she eats her part of the zebra we might lick the leftover carcass. Clearly this is a shallow exaggeration and sort of a "real house wives" assessment of our behavior - NOT to be taken literally. You get my point though, right?

This topic also reminds me of a favorite quote my dear friend reminded me of not too long ago. Goes something like this..."You wouldn't worry about what others think of you if you knew how infrequently they did." So true. So so true. I like to think that people think good things about me once in a while but for the most part, we all have our own crap to worry about. And to think that someone is going to notice my muffin top is just plain egocentric! It also reminds me of every time I go on vacation. I stand in front of the mirror analyzing every square inch of myself in a bathing suit, criticize myself, and then drink off the pain. The reality is, you walk out to the pool for the first time and are immediately slapped in the face with every single kind of body shape and size in every kind of bathing suit ever made. And then you have the European ladies in no bathing suit (top) at all. Who is looking at me when you can look at that???

Jake and I often joke about the things we screw up by saying, "Its ok honey...you have other gifts." I guess its our way of laughing off the things we suck at or mess up or look dumb doing. In some ways, this is what really matters though! Every single person who has ever lived ever was given some amazing gifts, but absolutely no one is perfect. Imagine if we put all the energy we spend criticizing ourselves into the gifts, talents, and things we like about ourselves! Ok, it actually might get a little obnoxious but let's try maybe a 10% improvement for now. This year when you try on your bathing suit for the first time, give yourself a "NICE TA-TA'S" or "that is not a bad butt for 35-year-old!"

[disclosure: I fully realize that this blog rambled, babbled, and crossed the map of what I was attempting multiple times. Again, I must reiterate that this blog is as much about clearing my head and serving as my personal therapy as it is about providing anything to anyone. I say with so much love to anyone reading it, LOVE ME OR LEAVE ME! :)]

Comments

  1. Well of course we love you! I live your rambling because it so much reminds me of my own (except that zebra carcass thing, ick! Lol) thx for another does of reality and comedy. Miss u!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!. Very true glad I'm not the only one who has the same thoughts. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Life is so hard, ma'am. Life is so hard."

I lost it this morning. I seriously lost it. I lost it so badly that I posted this to Facebook: You know what gets me all fired up? The way so many white people treat black people here. I brought Miss to the eye doctor because she can't see. The optometrist is treating her like she's an idiot. Over my dead body will we be buying glasses here. I am absolutely FUMING right now!!!!! They are words that I mean and words that were not well thought out, words that were fueled by absolutely shock and frustration and more shock. Words and frustration that felt the same as if someone had insulted one of my children. I had a reaction that got my blood boiling so hard and fast that I consciously had to keep myself in my chair and say, “Jessie…don’t say anything stupid.” I thought of my grandma Doerfler…I know what she would have done. She would have told that woman WHERE.TO.GO. As tempted as I was, I didn’t. I made Miss an appointment to see the eye doctor because the poor woman can

Dear 2017, Dearer 2018.

Dear 2017, You were a real asshole and I'm glad you're dead. You chewed me up and spit me out, but incredibly, I came out on top. You tried to break me but I stood up to you. I know you saw the days I cried harder than I have ever cried in my life. You were there for the gossip, rumors, and whispers. You were there when I didn't sleep for weeks. I felt you kick me when I was down...over and over again. But its ok because I know you. You're sneaky and arrogant and insecure and dishonest and two-faced. I recognize you, 2017. What you don't know is that I am a fucking warrior. Not only did I walk out of the fire, but I am also carrying buckets of water for my friends who are enduring the brutal realities of divorce. They are also warriors. Yes, I am glad you're gone, 2017, but I must also thank you. For every time I felt hatred and anger and disgust, I am smart enough to know where to turn when its time to fight back. Maybe you missed the day that my incredib