Skip to main content

New Beginnings


First, Happy Easter to all of you who celebrate Easter.

It is that Sunday and, as predicted, the egg and basket hunt took all of ten minutes and now we clean this grubby family up and head to church. For the record, my kids are wearing athletic apparel because Jesus doesn't care what they wear to church and I got no fight in me today. I grew up in a great church where the attendees probably qualify as family and everyone had an unofficial assigned seat. Ours was about six rows from the front, left side, every Sunday. I was raised to church.

As I logged more years, I struggled to believe what I was taught and what everyone around me seemed to believe so hard. Let's be honest, the Bible stories are a little far fetched and yet bazillions of people are all in, on fire for Jesus. I had so many questions and I fought the mainstream hard on it. I even fought it at the Lutheran college I attended. I fought it when I had a professor who was a Doctor of Religion and a Doctor of Psychology and he believed it. And this will come as no surprise, the nail in the coffin was the time I walked into the Wednesday chapel service and Chapel Girl (the one who greets everyone with a Jesus fueled hug of pure religious joy because she attends every thing she can) walked up to me and said, "Wow! You're here! We haven't seen you for a looooooooooong time." I looked her and said, "Actually I just stopped on my way to Joe's (the bar). I'm not staying." To be fair, I can be a little stubborn and Chapel Girl was NOT going to tell me what to do. But for someone who already struggled, this was not exactly the greeting that was going to bring me closer to God.

From 1997 (the year of the Chapel Girl incident) until now, I have made on-and-off efforts to try and connect with what I "was missing." Maybe if I just stop asking questions and tell myself to believe all of it, it will happen for me. A sort of fake-it-til-you-make-it mentality. But that didn't work. I maintained my holidays and a few odd Sundays status. Even today I am not sure about all of it. It all seems like a stretch. So in my head I say to myself, hmmm...the pages of that book seem a little fishy (no pun intended there) to me...but all of these really smart people believe it so maybe I should too.

And then this happened.

I joined a gym. Stay with me here people. Lots and lots of the people at that gym go to the MegaChurch. I really like the people who go to the MegaChurch. They are not the stereotype I created for people who go to MegaChurches. Would I like the MegaChurch?

Last Easter I wanted to try out the MegaChurch because I wanted to take my kids to church on Easter. With heart palpitations and sweaty palms we followed the traffic - and I mean TRAFFIC - and filed in. We were greeted immediately but no one said, "Wow! You're here! We haven't seen you for a looooooooooong time." They just welcomed us and pointed us in the right direction. There is a band and lights and sometimes a fog machine and screens and lasers and all of it. All of the things I thought had nothing at all to do with Jesus or church or the Bible. All of the things that I fought so hard.

But here is the thing about my MegaChurch which is now my church and has a name (Browns Bridge). Every single time I have been to Browns Bridge Church, there is a message that INCLUDES people like me who don't know what they believe and what they don't believe. It INCLUDES the "unchurched" and the non-Christians. It INCLUDES the weary and the tired and the strugglers. Every single Sunday there is a message for the people who Jesus brought in. And there is also the band and the lasers so that's cool.

They say Easter is a time for new beginnings and, for me, this new church beginning is about letting go of the struggle and letting in something that feels comfortable to me. I go, I sing so loud my throat hurts, I listen to the message/pep talk for me and all of my struggler friends, and I leave feeling happy. And maybe what God/The Universe/Whatever you want to call it wants from me is to just take that feeling and spread it out a little bit. Maybe its ok if I am not "on fire for Jesus," but more of a back row dweller (literally that's where we sit with our friends) and a feeling spreader.

Sometimes new beginnings take the most ironic form...for me it was something I fought really, really hard and yet, here it is. So happy Easter. Happy New Beginnings.

Comments

  1. Brownsbridge rules I agree. I always walk away with something positive to think about and don't feel like a bad person when I leave there haha. Great read Jessie thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Life is so hard, ma'am. Life is so hard."

I lost it this morning. I seriously lost it. I lost it so badly that I posted this to Facebook: You know what gets me all fired up? The way so many white people treat black people here. I brought Miss to the eye doctor because she can't see. The optometrist is treating her like she's an idiot. Over my dead body will we be buying glasses here. I am absolutely FUMING right now!!!!! They are words that I mean and words that were not well thought out, words that were fueled by absolutely shock and frustration and more shock. Words and frustration that felt the same as if someone had insulted one of my children. I had a reaction that got my blood boiling so hard and fast that I consciously had to keep myself in my chair and say, “Jessie…don’t say anything stupid.” I thought of my grandma Doerfler…I know what she would have done. She would have told that woman WHERE.TO.GO. As tempted as I was, I didn’t. I made Miss an appointment to see the eye doctor because the poor woman can

I think you are, but what am I? No really...

I've been thinking a lot lately about how I measure myself - how we, especially as women, measure ourselves. Let's be honest, part of our genetic make-up as the feminine species insists that we constantly compare ourselves to those around us and, most likely, consider ourselves inferior at all times. Some of it is inate insecurity and some of it is inate humility. Imagine sitting down to lunch with a group of women, your super model neighbor walking in, and saying to your friends (who are undoubtedly admiring her put-together self), "What? I'm way prettier than her." Then your friends' dilemma would be who to hate more, the super model neighbor or you, right? I guess the conclusion I have come to is that comparing myself to other people is inevitable. I just have to make sure I do it in a healthy way. If you're saying to yourself, "I don't compare myself to other people," I am calling you out right now. I would put that in the same category a

Dear 2017, Dearer 2018.

Dear 2017, You were a real asshole and I'm glad you're dead. You chewed me up and spit me out, but incredibly, I came out on top. You tried to break me but I stood up to you. I know you saw the days I cried harder than I have ever cried in my life. You were there for the gossip, rumors, and whispers. You were there when I didn't sleep for weeks. I felt you kick me when I was down...over and over again. But its ok because I know you. You're sneaky and arrogant and insecure and dishonest and two-faced. I recognize you, 2017. What you don't know is that I am a fucking warrior. Not only did I walk out of the fire, but I am also carrying buckets of water for my friends who are enduring the brutal realities of divorce. They are also warriors. Yes, I am glad you're gone, 2017, but I must also thank you. For every time I felt hatred and anger and disgust, I am smart enough to know where to turn when its time to fight back. Maybe you missed the day that my incredib