Skip to main content

I'm a wis(er) old lady.

I was in the car today listening to Classic FM, all classical, all the time baby. It rocks and I have Jake hooked too. We're old people. I even listen to the Breakfast Quiz in the morning and contemplate calling in when I know the answer. If I did call in I would have to give a fake name because I would be too embarrassed to say my real name. Jenna? Jamie? Jackie? Anyway, I love classical music AND the totally nerdy hosts on the station.

Over the last year or so I have started to notice that I feel more comfortable in my own skin. Its not all the time and I'm not floating on a cloud of self-love, I just noticed that I feel more comfortable. I do more things that I like just because I like them, not because I think I should like them. My friends seem happier too. My conclusion is this: WE'VE CUT THE BULLSHIT (except for giving a fake name on the breakfast quiz radio call-in). There was a lot of it in my 20's - A LOT - and even more before that. Embarrassing really but I think that's just how life is for someone like me and lots of us.

As I was rocking out to a Chopin Concerto on my way to _ _ _ _ (I said I wouldn't talk about _ _ _ _ anymore after multiple Facebook posts about _ _ _ _), I was thinking about how cool my Facebook friends are. I have former bosses, family, teachers, two film makers, music lovers, hippies, IT nerds...and school friends. Now I must confess that I haven't kept in touch with many from high school but I love having high school friends even more now that we are not in high school anymore. There are no social "boundaries" around our friendship, no group definitions and I LOVE IT. Driving along I was thinking about how my 15-16-17-18-year-old brain and my total immaturity only allowed me to cross boundaries that I was comfortable with. Because of that I missed out on some really, really cool people who now have become some of my favorite Facebook friends. They are interesting and unique and creative. I am glad they don't still see me as the half-popular, part-time cheerleading, theater/music loving wannabe and hopefully find me equally as interesting and unique. Again, no BS. Maybe in your 30s you become who you are meant to be and then it just keeps getting better and better from there.

So friends in your 40s, 50s, 60s...am I going to look back on this and see the naiveté that I see in myself in my 20s? Just wondering.

Are you comfortable in your skin? Are you more comfortable than you were in your 20s? What has made you that way? Does life keep getting better despite the grown-up challenges we have? Have you cut out the BS?

I have not reached any kind of summit, but I like the view from my 30s. I'm happy here. It feels good.

Comments

  1. Just like you, I look back at High School and think...wish I would have just been ME! I have noticed that in my brain, I am still that girl in High School, but operating in a grown up world. For me, my life experiences of the 30s, 40s, 50s, and now 60s have made me comfortable in my skin. I like who I am because something still drives me to put everyone else first and I guess that goes with the "Golden Rule", but damn it's hard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post. I agree..the older we get the easier it becomes and the less we are concerned with the crap other's do. High school was such a rough patch for me..do I fit in, does he/she like me, am I cool enough, how is my hair, check this check that...blah blah blah..now really if you don't like me or love me for that matter I don't need you in my life. Back in the day I was scrambling to do things different just to fit in. I'm definitely happier now and funny that most of that has come as my flaws and imperfections truly show :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Life is so hard, ma'am. Life is so hard."

I lost it this morning. I seriously lost it. I lost it so badly that I posted this to Facebook: You know what gets me all fired up? The way so many white people treat black people here. I brought Miss to the eye doctor because she can't see. The optometrist is treating her like she's an idiot. Over my dead body will we be buying glasses here. I am absolutely FUMING right now!!!!! They are words that I mean and words that were not well thought out, words that were fueled by absolutely shock and frustration and more shock. Words and frustration that felt the same as if someone had insulted one of my children. I had a reaction that got my blood boiling so hard and fast that I consciously had to keep myself in my chair and say, “Jessie…don’t say anything stupid.” I thought of my grandma Doerfler…I know what she would have done. She would have told that woman WHERE.TO.GO. As tempted as I was, I didn’t. I made Miss an appointment to see the eye doctor because the poor woman can

I think you are, but what am I? No really...

I've been thinking a lot lately about how I measure myself - how we, especially as women, measure ourselves. Let's be honest, part of our genetic make-up as the feminine species insists that we constantly compare ourselves to those around us and, most likely, consider ourselves inferior at all times. Some of it is inate insecurity and some of it is inate humility. Imagine sitting down to lunch with a group of women, your super model neighbor walking in, and saying to your friends (who are undoubtedly admiring her put-together self), "What? I'm way prettier than her." Then your friends' dilemma would be who to hate more, the super model neighbor or you, right? I guess the conclusion I have come to is that comparing myself to other people is inevitable. I just have to make sure I do it in a healthy way. If you're saying to yourself, "I don't compare myself to other people," I am calling you out right now. I would put that in the same category a

Something stinks...

...and it’s your attitude lady! I got to pick Ben up a little early from preschool today so I decided it was FINALLY time to visit the Bryanston Organic Market that is right down the road from my house. Why haven't I been there yet? Probably because it’s so obvious. It’s right there. It’s too easy. Anyway, Quinn, Ben, and I made our way through the booths which were filled with lots of little treasures...very cool. After a nutritious lunch of organic chocolate chip cookies and organic gelato (I think we really tapped into the whole organic thing...eat well, live well, blah blah blah), the boys found a sandbox to play in. I reminded Ben not to eat or throw the sand and my accent caught the attention of a lady sitting on the edge of the sand with her granddaughter and Bad Attitude (sorry...didn't catch her name). Lady says, "Where are YOU from?" I say, "north of Chicago," which I have found to be much much easier than saying Wisconsin. No one outside of t