Skip to main content

Life is Not Perfect. Please Tell Your Story.


As I grow up, I can see a desperation amongst my peers for sincerity and authenticity. Thanks to maturity we grow our circles in quality and are far more selective in quantity. There are a million different quotes about this, and Pinterest is bleeding with inspiration about the quality of our friendships. I am at a point in my life where, if you can't be real with me, I'm out. Is that harsh? Maybe. Its only harsh when you say it out loud because the majority of us, in my opinion, are operating at that frequency whether we speak it or not.

But then there are those who are not operating at that frequency. I promise not to tell who just popped into your heads. [wink] You know some, I know some, and just open any social media app if you're wondering. The Perfects were always a family out there but now social media has given them a platform to slather their inflated happiness all over us. I remember a story from my high school days where Parent Perfect was expounding on the dangers of underage drinking and how proud she was of her child who WOULD NEVER do such a thing. As she talked, the other parents knew that Parent Perfect's perfect child was doing just that, and in a most regular and merry way. Those were the horse-and-buggy days where stories only got as far as gossip would take them. Now we are faced with this almost bizarre idea that PERFECTION exists. That PERFECTION can be created in a photo and shared with the world to portray anything we want it to. We can be perfect mothers and perfect wives and perfect workers and, the sick reality is, we all have slapped our own hands when we find ourselves coveting the "lives" of those seemingly perfect images. I don't think that these people and their posts and photos are ill-intentioned. I think they boil down into three categories:

1. You are happy and want to share it with the world. The people who know you, know and appreciate this about you. You're not a bragger in real life, therefore, we know you are not brag-posting.

2. You treat social media like a photo frame. You're not going to put a photo of your kid in a frame when he is screaming his head off with spaghetti hanging off of his chin. I get it. You're selective and putting your best foot forward. In general, your social media matches your "real life" with a smidge of a spit shine.

3. Social media is your way of creating the life you wish you had. You are actively working on creating the perfect family with the perfect children and the perfect house and the perfect life full of lots of perfect things. Your "challenges" are humble brags. Your trials are trivial to 99.999% of the world's population. Your photo caption suggests that you face hardship with name brand clothing, bows in your hair, and a million dollar group hug. The people who know you best, know better. They secretly worry about what you are trying to portrait to the rest of the world.

Can I tell you something? Something real?

PERFECTION IS NOT REAL. Not even a little bit. You can't fake us out with cute pics and an IG story. We love you and we know you and its ok. ITS OK.

We can all look at our friends and know when they are struggling. We can see that look on their faces when parenting is hard. We recognize the body language between two people who are slightly annoyed with each other. We know what you look like when you have had it UP. TO. HERE. We see the bags under your eyes when you need a nap and guess what? Your smaller circle loves you anyway. We want to help...thats our job! Please know that, as your friend, there is nothing I want more than for you to look at me and say, "I could use a little help." Talk to me and know that I am a vault with your frustrations. I will listen to you complain about how your husband refuses to put his dishes in the dishwasher and you're sick of it and annoyed and he's annoying and bugging you. I will listen and then hug you and send you on your way knowing that you are normal and still love him. Tell me that your kids are bugging you...mine are too. Cry about your extra fat roll on your belly while you eat a donut because you have PMS. Tell me how your budget is stressing you out.

And please please please, let us see your imperfections. They make you YOU. Embrace the parts of you and your life that are not picture perfect. The parts that don't look so good on social media. No one is perfect and that is the best club in the world. You can't fool us and we love you anyway.

(Don't worry...this isn't about anyone specific. Just an observation for the real world.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear 2017, Dearer 2018.

Dear 2017, You were a real asshole and I'm glad you're dead. You chewed me up and spit me out, but incredibly, I came out on top. You tried to break me but I stood up to you. I know you saw the days I cried harder than I have ever cried in my life. You were there for the gossip, rumors, and whispers. You were there when I didn't sleep for weeks. I felt you kick me when I was down...over and over again. But its ok because I know you. You're sneaky and arrogant and insecure and dishonest and two-faced. I recognize you, 2017. What you don't know is that I am a fucking warrior. Not only did I walk out of the fire, but I am also carrying buckets of water for my friends who are enduring the brutal realities of divorce. They are also warriors. Yes, I am glad you're gone, 2017, but I must also thank you. For every time I felt hatred and anger and disgust, I am smart enough to know where to turn when its time to fight back. Maybe you missed the day that my incredib

"Life is so hard, ma'am. Life is so hard."

I lost it this morning. I seriously lost it. I lost it so badly that I posted this to Facebook: You know what gets me all fired up? The way so many white people treat black people here. I brought Miss to the eye doctor because she can't see. The optometrist is treating her like she's an idiot. Over my dead body will we be buying glasses here. I am absolutely FUMING right now!!!!! They are words that I mean and words that were not well thought out, words that were fueled by absolutely shock and frustration and more shock. Words and frustration that felt the same as if someone had insulted one of my children. I had a reaction that got my blood boiling so hard and fast that I consciously had to keep myself in my chair and say, “Jessie…don’t say anything stupid.” I thought of my grandma Doerfler…I know what she would have done. She would have told that woman WHERE.TO.GO. As tempted as I was, I didn’t. I made Miss an appointment to see the eye doctor because the poor woman can

I think you are, but what am I? No really...

I've been thinking a lot lately about how I measure myself - how we, especially as women, measure ourselves. Let's be honest, part of our genetic make-up as the feminine species insists that we constantly compare ourselves to those around us and, most likely, consider ourselves inferior at all times. Some of it is inate insecurity and some of it is inate humility. Imagine sitting down to lunch with a group of women, your super model neighbor walking in, and saying to your friends (who are undoubtedly admiring her put-together self), "What? I'm way prettier than her." Then your friends' dilemma would be who to hate more, the super model neighbor or you, right? I guess the conclusion I have come to is that comparing myself to other people is inevitable. I just have to make sure I do it in a healthy way. If you're saying to yourself, "I don't compare myself to other people," I am calling you out right now. I would put that in the same category a