Skip to main content

The Value of Time

What would you do with more time? What are you NOT doing now because you don't have time?

If you keep reading, I promise NOT to tell you that there is enough time in the day if you just MAKE time. It is not true. I am here to tell you that all of that is a load of crap. If you feel like you don't have enough time to do everything you want to do, it’s because you don't have enough time to do everything you want to do.
Have you seen that stupid Pinterest thing with the girl with the perfect body telling you that not working out because you don't have time is just an excuse? I want to punch her in the face and abs and butt. My guess is that she is a) either a trainer who works out for a living, b) 23 with no kids, or c) a model who got stuck on this annoying picture on Pinterest and now all of her friends hate her because they think the words are hers.

Since leaving my job, I have realized how valuable time is and have spent many minutes of that valuable time wondering how in the world we juggled all of it. In all honesty, it wasn't easy and wasn't always pretty. I remember coming home from a trip to Beijing, laying down to take a short little nap after being awake for 32 hours, waking up 4 hours later and realizing that I had slept away those precious hours that I should have been spending with my kids, whom I hadn't seen in 2 weeks. Mom guilt. Two weeks away...32 hours awake...4 hour nap...time. When I say time is valuable, I am not pulling a "time goes so fast, you have to appreciate every minute" thing. What I mean to say is that, if you feel overbooked, it’s because you are.

I am here to tell you that you are doing the best you can with the time you have. Don't let the skinny bitch on Pinterest make you feel like a slacker for not working out when you are juggling a million other things. If you would rather have dinner with your family and a trip to the Dairy Queen, don't feel bad that you didn't get a 2-hour run in. I'll say it again. YOU ARE DOING THE BEST YOU CAN with a life that barely fits into a 24-hour clock.

Keep thinking about what you would do with more time, but spend equal or more time thinking about all the things you ARE doing with the time you have. You're working, raising kids, you're a friend, a husband/wife/sister/brother/mom/dad, you jump when people need you, and then there's all the other stuff. Maybe Pinterest is right...if it’s a priority you will find time...you'll find time with the things that matter THE MOST and you already are. Feel good about whatever that is and let go of the guilt for the things that just don't fit in.

xoxo friends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I think you are, but what am I? No really...

I've been thinking a lot lately about how I measure myself - how we, especially as women, measure ourselves. Let's be honest, part of our genetic make-up as the feminine species insists that we constantly compare ourselves to those around us and, most likely, consider ourselves inferior at all times. Some of it is inate insecurity and some of it is inate humility. Imagine sitting down to lunch with a group of women, your super model neighbor walking in, and saying to your friends (who are undoubtedly admiring her put-together self), "What? I'm way prettier than her." Then your friends' dilemma would be who to hate more, the super model neighbor or you, right? I guess the conclusion I have come to is that comparing myself to other people is inevitable. I just have to make sure I do it in a healthy way. If you're saying to yourself, "I don't compare myself to other people," I am calling you out right now. I would put that in the same category a

"Life is so hard, ma'am. Life is so hard."

I lost it this morning. I seriously lost it. I lost it so badly that I posted this to Facebook: You know what gets me all fired up? The way so many white people treat black people here. I brought Miss to the eye doctor because she can't see. The optometrist is treating her like she's an idiot. Over my dead body will we be buying glasses here. I am absolutely FUMING right now!!!!! They are words that I mean and words that were not well thought out, words that were fueled by absolutely shock and frustration and more shock. Words and frustration that felt the same as if someone had insulted one of my children. I had a reaction that got my blood boiling so hard and fast that I consciously had to keep myself in my chair and say, “Jessie…don’t say anything stupid.” I thought of my grandma Doerfler…I know what she would have done. She would have told that woman WHERE.TO.GO. As tempted as I was, I didn’t. I made Miss an appointment to see the eye doctor because the poor woman can

Dear 2017, Dearer 2018.

Dear 2017, You were a real asshole and I'm glad you're dead. You chewed me up and spit me out, but incredibly, I came out on top. You tried to break me but I stood up to you. I know you saw the days I cried harder than I have ever cried in my life. You were there for the gossip, rumors, and whispers. You were there when I didn't sleep for weeks. I felt you kick me when I was down...over and over again. But its ok because I know you. You're sneaky and arrogant and insecure and dishonest and two-faced. I recognize you, 2017. What you don't know is that I am a fucking warrior. Not only did I walk out of the fire, but I am also carrying buckets of water for my friends who are enduring the brutal realities of divorce. They are also warriors. Yes, I am glad you're gone, 2017, but I must also thank you. For every time I felt hatred and anger and disgust, I am smart enough to know where to turn when its time to fight back. Maybe you missed the day that my incredib