Skip to main content

Something stinks...

...and it’s your attitude lady!

I got to pick Ben up a little early from preschool today so I decided it was FINALLY time to visit the Bryanston Organic Market that is right down the road from my house.

Why haven't I been there yet? Probably because it’s so obvious. It’s right there. It’s too easy. Anyway, Quinn, Ben, and I made our way through the booths which were filled with lots of little treasures...very cool. After a nutritious lunch of organic chocolate chip cookies and organic gelato (I think we really tapped into the whole organic thing...eat well, live well, blah blah blah), the boys found a sandbox to play in. I reminded Ben not to eat or throw the sand and my accent caught the attention of a lady sitting on the edge of the sand with her granddaughter and Bad Attitude (sorry...didn't catch her name). Lady says, "Where are YOU from?" I say, "north of Chicago," which I have found to be much much easier than saying Wisconsin. No one outside of the US knows where Wisconsin is and it’s just easier. Bad Attitude tells me she's from Colorado and asks what I'm doing there. Husband's job, Kimberly-Clark, 2-3 years, etc. etc. She then, with a fiercely evil look in her eye says, "So, how do you like it here?" She was digging for something. I respond with, "The sun shines every day...what is there to complain about?" And then her negative everything poured onto me like Nickelodeon green slime and I couldn't get away. I couldn't even raise my arm to slap the crap out of her (which is what I really wanted to do, but you know, the kids were right there and all). Through my shock, this is what I remember...

Bad Attitude: "Well, I'm from Colorado and my husband is working a high-powered job with Deloitte. Have you heard of Deloitte?"

Jessie (in my head): "No, I actually just moved here from a nice place under a rock." And as soon as she said "high powered" the image of Willy Wonka popped into my head saying, "Ooooohhhh, high powered. Your husband must be VERY important."

BA: "In Colorado there are no walls. I can't stand the walls around everything. I'm used to traveling to Europe with my husband where you can just leave your hotel and walk for hours to the Louvre or Big Ben or the little pastry shop around the corner."

J (in my head, of course): "In case no one told you, this is not Colorado and this is not Europe. And wow, travel to Europe. You are the only person ever to have traveled to Europe. What is it like there? Tell me more of your high-powered travel." Barf.

J (out of my mouth): We just live down the road and I walk all over. Have you been to the butcher shop? There is a nice park down the road too. Lots of runners and walkers around here in the morning.

Bad Attitude: "Well, this is all a real test. I have been here for a week and I told my husband I want an earlier flight. I am supposed to be here for a month and I can't stand it. I mean, how am I supposed to learn how to drive?"

J (in my head): Get me the hell out of here.

J (out of my mouth): "I just put my kids in the car one day and went for it. No choice really. It’s not hard once you just do it. Have you been to X, Y, and Z (random cool things we have done...trying to change the subject)?"

BA: "No, I don't do anything because it’s impossible to meet people. I'm not going places by myself...it’s not safe."

J (in my head): This is why people think Americans are ignorant. Thank you BA for perpetuating the stereotype.

J (out of mouth): "Well, it would be a shame to be living somewhere most people only dream of and not experience what is here. Good luck!"

I mean, for real???? How many of you would give a limb to be in this lady's shoes? She gets to live here for a month! This is one of the most incredible, unique, beautiful places on Earth. How sad for her. On a side note, her poor husband...no wonder he works so many hours.

Yes, I feel homesick and times. Yes, I miss "home." But there is no question in my mind, if someone offered me the chance to move home right now, I would have to say no. I'm not ready to be done here. I haven't done enough here yet. I haven't finished the chapter in my life book.

I am happy to report that I did not join in her rotten, green slime, pity party. Pity party...how ridiculous. What did I get out of this weirdo conversation with Bad Attitude? A) Some people are never happy. B) I took a minute to send thoughts of gratefulness out into the universe. C) She sucked.

Comments

  1. Proud of you DIL. Don't think she will be your next BFF!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know where Wisconsin is!
    And good on your for dodging her slime.
    She obviously hates her life, wherever she is.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I think you are, but what am I? No really...

I've been thinking a lot lately about how I measure myself - how we, especially as women, measure ourselves. Let's be honest, part of our genetic make-up as the feminine species insists that we constantly compare ourselves to those around us and, most likely, consider ourselves inferior at all times. Some of it is inate insecurity and some of it is inate humility. Imagine sitting down to lunch with a group of women, your super model neighbor walking in, and saying to your friends (who are undoubtedly admiring her put-together self), "What? I'm way prettier than her." Then your friends' dilemma would be who to hate more, the super model neighbor or you, right? I guess the conclusion I have come to is that comparing myself to other people is inevitable. I just have to make sure I do it in a healthy way. If you're saying to yourself, "I don't compare myself to other people," I am calling you out right now. I would put that in the same category a

"Life is so hard, ma'am. Life is so hard."

I lost it this morning. I seriously lost it. I lost it so badly that I posted this to Facebook: You know what gets me all fired up? The way so many white people treat black people here. I brought Miss to the eye doctor because she can't see. The optometrist is treating her like she's an idiot. Over my dead body will we be buying glasses here. I am absolutely FUMING right now!!!!! They are words that I mean and words that were not well thought out, words that were fueled by absolutely shock and frustration and more shock. Words and frustration that felt the same as if someone had insulted one of my children. I had a reaction that got my blood boiling so hard and fast that I consciously had to keep myself in my chair and say, “Jessie…don’t say anything stupid.” I thought of my grandma Doerfler…I know what she would have done. She would have told that woman WHERE.TO.GO. As tempted as I was, I didn’t. I made Miss an appointment to see the eye doctor because the poor woman can

Dear 2017, Dearer 2018.

Dear 2017, You were a real asshole and I'm glad you're dead. You chewed me up and spit me out, but incredibly, I came out on top. You tried to break me but I stood up to you. I know you saw the days I cried harder than I have ever cried in my life. You were there for the gossip, rumors, and whispers. You were there when I didn't sleep for weeks. I felt you kick me when I was down...over and over again. But its ok because I know you. You're sneaky and arrogant and insecure and dishonest and two-faced. I recognize you, 2017. What you don't know is that I am a fucking warrior. Not only did I walk out of the fire, but I am also carrying buckets of water for my friends who are enduring the brutal realities of divorce. They are also warriors. Yes, I am glad you're gone, 2017, but I must also thank you. For every time I felt hatred and anger and disgust, I am smart enough to know where to turn when its time to fight back. Maybe you missed the day that my incredib