Skip to main content

These are a few of my favorite things...

These are a few of my favorite things and they have absolutely nothing to do with schnitzel and warm apple strudels (or however that goes). I've decided that tonight's blog is going to be a shameless plug for my favorite products. The products that now line my pantry and frig replacing the big chocolate chip cookies (mouth watering), fat meat (mouth not watering), and justified indulgences that used to be there. I encourage you to comment on my blog post with your favorite products as well...unless you live blocks from some super great grocery store like Whole Foods or Central Market...because that's just bragging. Let me just don my Julie Andrews wig and a ruffled apron and away we go...

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or a dietitian, nor do I play one on TV. In fact, according to the spell check I apparently don't even know how to spell dietitian. I am not in any way saying that any of these products taste better than a warm chocolate cookie. I am not trying to convince you that you would rather have any of these products instead of a warm chocolate chip cookie. Should you choose to binge in an uncontrolled manner on any of these products, I cannot guarantee a stable state of your gastrointestinal health. Remember people, we are talking about losing weight. As my wise brother-in-law used to joke, "Do you want to be fat or do you want to be skinny?" He would usually say that as he stuck a hot wing in his mouth...but I digress...

1. Kashi cereal with Almond Breeze unsweetened vanilla "milk": Put a little no-calorie sweetener on there and you've got yourself a delish snack, breakfast, whatever. The Kashi cereal is just all-around good for you and the Almond milk has a wee 40 calories in a cup. It took me all of one initial serving to appreciate the taste and I'm hooked. I can tell already this little exercise is going to make me hungry. Warning: Do not assume that all Kashi cereal is low in calories. I picked up a box of chocolate Kashi something-or-other and there was 230 c's in 3/4 cup! Say what? Who felt a dimple jump to their thighs on that one?

2. Spinach Smoothies: I know, I know. Shut up about the spinach smoothies already...and I will...after this. Get out your blenders, wash out the leftover tequila, and throw some spinach in there (a big old handful). Add some frozen fruit (2 - 3 cups), 2 - 3 cups of water, and a Crystal Light On the Go packet of your liking. Blend and serve. Serve it to your kids and laugh (the evil kind) as you watch them love all over that healthy goodness. They won't have a clue there is anything green in there because YOU CAN'T TASTE THE SPINACH. Really - I promise! Super low calories (like 40 in an 8 oz cup), good for you, and tastes good. I wonder if you could put vodka in it...JUST KIDDING (kind of).

3. Egg whites: For 17 little tiny calories you can have well, egg whites (no joke, I just sat here for about 3 minutes thinking of some creative way to describe egg whites. Wish I had those minutes back.). So here is an idea to make them better. Saute a small handful of spinach, dump 2-3 egg whites over the top, throw in some chopped black pepper turkey (as in the deli kind...almost tastes like bacon-ish), and a piece of reduced fat cheese. Lots of food, not a lot of calories. Now I bet you feel bad for turning your nose up at those egg whites, huh?

4. Jello Sugar Free Pudding: Any flavor, 60 calories. Chocolate? 60 calories. Banana fudge supreme? 60 calories. A nice simple vanilla? 60 calories. PMS? Got it bad? 60 calories (or if its really bad and you're considering eating your child's entire Easter basket you can have two of them. That would be 120 calories.).

5. Red wine: Enough said. Always budget your calories accordingly so that you can enjoy one guilt free at the end of the night.

Ok, that's enough. This is getting boring. Add your faves in the comments!

Comments

  1. Hey Jessie-I love your blog. As a mom struggling to lose my last 10 pounds you have given me some motivation to get more serious about running and eating healthier! I'm definitely going to pick up some spinach, Andy would be all over that, he is a huge fan of smoothies. I have also discovered egg whites, and they are not bad if you add a bunch of veggies and maybe a piece of wheat toast on the side. Once summer veggies are in abundance, one of my favorite snacks is sliced fresh tomatoes and cucumbers mixed with a little bit of kosher salt, pepper, olive oil and some rice wine vinegar. It gives me the salt and crunch I crave :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot WAIT to test-drive one of those spinach smoothies. Thanks for the great ideas, Coach Jessie!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Life is so hard, ma'am. Life is so hard."

I lost it this morning. I seriously lost it. I lost it so badly that I posted this to Facebook: You know what gets me all fired up? The way so many white people treat black people here. I brought Miss to the eye doctor because she can't see. The optometrist is treating her like she's an idiot. Over my dead body will we be buying glasses here. I am absolutely FUMING right now!!!!! They are words that I mean and words that were not well thought out, words that were fueled by absolutely shock and frustration and more shock. Words and frustration that felt the same as if someone had insulted one of my children. I had a reaction that got my blood boiling so hard and fast that I consciously had to keep myself in my chair and say, “Jessie…don’t say anything stupid.” I thought of my grandma Doerfler…I know what she would have done. She would have told that woman WHERE.TO.GO. As tempted as I was, I didn’t. I made Miss an appointment to see the eye doctor because the poor woman can

I think you are, but what am I? No really...

I've been thinking a lot lately about how I measure myself - how we, especially as women, measure ourselves. Let's be honest, part of our genetic make-up as the feminine species insists that we constantly compare ourselves to those around us and, most likely, consider ourselves inferior at all times. Some of it is inate insecurity and some of it is inate humility. Imagine sitting down to lunch with a group of women, your super model neighbor walking in, and saying to your friends (who are undoubtedly admiring her put-together self), "What? I'm way prettier than her." Then your friends' dilemma would be who to hate more, the super model neighbor or you, right? I guess the conclusion I have come to is that comparing myself to other people is inevitable. I just have to make sure I do it in a healthy way. If you're saying to yourself, "I don't compare myself to other people," I am calling you out right now. I would put that in the same category a

Dear 2017, Dearer 2018.

Dear 2017, You were a real asshole and I'm glad you're dead. You chewed me up and spit me out, but incredibly, I came out on top. You tried to break me but I stood up to you. I know you saw the days I cried harder than I have ever cried in my life. You were there for the gossip, rumors, and whispers. You were there when I didn't sleep for weeks. I felt you kick me when I was down...over and over again. But its ok because I know you. You're sneaky and arrogant and insecure and dishonest and two-faced. I recognize you, 2017. What you don't know is that I am a fucking warrior. Not only did I walk out of the fire, but I am also carrying buckets of water for my friends who are enduring the brutal realities of divorce. They are also warriors. Yes, I am glad you're gone, 2017, but I must also thank you. For every time I felt hatred and anger and disgust, I am smart enough to know where to turn when its time to fight back. Maybe you missed the day that my incredib