Skip to main content

Week 1, Day 1 - Yes, I made a New Years Resolution

So cliche but I did it. I made a New Years resolution to lose weight, get in shape, and run a half marathon. I would laugh at myself too but I am the person who is actually going to do it so I don't have to feel stupid about it. My reason for blogging about my training is twofold. First, peer pressure. A lovely high school friend of mine told me that if I blogged she would follow. So this is for you Kila. Hopefully I will have more than one follower and hopefully you will get some kind of stimulation or inspiration from reading it. My other hope is that, by writing about my journey, I will FIND inspiration when I need it. Like having a shrink, right?

I call it a New Years resolution, but in all reality this half marathon thing has been in my head for a while. In fact, 9 years ago I was training for a half marathon when we moved to England. When we got there I kept running but, if you've been to England you know that there aren't really city blocks. The streets wind all over the place and even a girl with a keen sense of direction can get lost very easily. So I quit running and started spinning. Actually, when we lived in England I was in the best shape of my life so those are the pictures I am using as inspiration. You know how it goes, you find that picture and think, wow, I looked good...cry a little bit...and then get yourself a bowl of ice cream and a list of excuses, right? Anyway, my idea here is that if Jake can do Ironman, I can do a half marathon. Lots of people do them and I want to be one of them. So there it is - Rock & Roll Half Marathon - Chicago - August 1, 2010.

Week 1, Day 1 I got on the treadmill in my basement and started running. Sloooooooooooow, but running. I think I made it 2 miles or maybe a little more and it actually felt pretty good. I mean, not good like sleeping in on a Saturday, but relatively good. Over the course of week 1 I managed to run three more times with my Saturday run lasting a whole 4.3 miles! Good job me!

Along with running, I am also counting calories and I mean counting.calories. I don't mess around with this stuff. Its ON in the calorie department. CALORIES IN, CALORIES OUT. Check out www.livestrong.com/myplate...freaking awesome site. You can track everything you eat and the site has the nutritional value of every food I have searched for so far. Even the Harry & David Flax Seed Tortilla chips I ate today (seriously...who eats flax see chips? They are awesome actually. Give them a try).

There you have it. I have 21 pounds to lose to be at my goal weight, and its a pretty agressive goal weight. I'm not messing around with this. Its time to get strong and, more importantly, have my cute jeans make my butt look really good. Ha!

Comments

  1. I have NO DOUBT you will acieve your goal- all of it!! And you already look fantastic-- you're gonna be smokin!!! Xxoo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Life is so hard, ma'am. Life is so hard."

I lost it this morning. I seriously lost it. I lost it so badly that I posted this to Facebook: You know what gets me all fired up? The way so many white people treat black people here. I brought Miss to the eye doctor because she can't see. The optometrist is treating her like she's an idiot. Over my dead body will we be buying glasses here. I am absolutely FUMING right now!!!!! They are words that I mean and words that were not well thought out, words that were fueled by absolutely shock and frustration and more shock. Words and frustration that felt the same as if someone had insulted one of my children. I had a reaction that got my blood boiling so hard and fast that I consciously had to keep myself in my chair and say, “Jessie…don’t say anything stupid.” I thought of my grandma Doerfler…I know what she would have done. She would have told that woman WHERE.TO.GO. As tempted as I was, I didn’t. I made Miss an appointment to see the eye doctor because the poor woman can

I think you are, but what am I? No really...

I've been thinking a lot lately about how I measure myself - how we, especially as women, measure ourselves. Let's be honest, part of our genetic make-up as the feminine species insists that we constantly compare ourselves to those around us and, most likely, consider ourselves inferior at all times. Some of it is inate insecurity and some of it is inate humility. Imagine sitting down to lunch with a group of women, your super model neighbor walking in, and saying to your friends (who are undoubtedly admiring her put-together self), "What? I'm way prettier than her." Then your friends' dilemma would be who to hate more, the super model neighbor or you, right? I guess the conclusion I have come to is that comparing myself to other people is inevitable. I just have to make sure I do it in a healthy way. If you're saying to yourself, "I don't compare myself to other people," I am calling you out right now. I would put that in the same category a

Something stinks...

...and it’s your attitude lady! I got to pick Ben up a little early from preschool today so I decided it was FINALLY time to visit the Bryanston Organic Market that is right down the road from my house. Why haven't I been there yet? Probably because it’s so obvious. It’s right there. It’s too easy. Anyway, Quinn, Ben, and I made our way through the booths which were filled with lots of little treasures...very cool. After a nutritious lunch of organic chocolate chip cookies and organic gelato (I think we really tapped into the whole organic thing...eat well, live well, blah blah blah), the boys found a sandbox to play in. I reminded Ben not to eat or throw the sand and my accent caught the attention of a lady sitting on the edge of the sand with her granddaughter and Bad Attitude (sorry...didn't catch her name). Lady says, "Where are YOU from?" I say, "north of Chicago," which I have found to be much much easier than saying Wisconsin. No one outside of t