Skip to main content

Resolutions: Say it loud and say it proud!

The date: January 3, 2011.

That date means that it is, once again, time for New Year's resolutions. This is obviously a hot topic at this time of the year which has me thinking about a couple things so here comes a blog entry. The big question is, why when we talk about resolutions is there always a tone of implied failure? On the spectrum of resolutions the zero would fall with those who don't even bother to set a resolution because they know they will fail. I was recently talking to someone who said, "Why even bother with resolutions? January 1 is just another day." I see the point here, but in my opinion, there is an essence of perceived failure here. Why set myself up for another failure?

In the 10 spot on the spectrum are those who set the goal of climbing Mount Everest and never hesitate for a minute in achieving their goal. Its that amazing quality that allows so many crazy people I know to do Ironman (all shall remain nameless). These are the people I look at and think, I'm just not sure my brain has that smudge of craziness. There is a mental strength there that I'm just not sure everyone has and it always amazes me.

Then there are those of us who fall somewhere in between. I, last year, fell just slightly more on the set-a-goal-and-achieve-it side of things...or at least I feel like I achieved it. My goal was to lose weight and I did that. I saw that number on the scale and it wasn't easy. The secondary goal was to run a half-marathon and I didn't do that which - I'm not going to lie - is really messing with my head as the calendar page turns. Its not that there is any question of whether I can physically run a half-marathon. I KNOW I can do that. What's bugging me is that I have set that particular race as a goal (twice) and have yet to accomplish it. So now my efforts are focusing on silencing that little voice that is saying to me, "Sure you want to do a half-marathon...that's what you said last year." I absolutely MUST silence that stupid little voice with action...prove that the little voice is full of shit. Beat the voice.

My next thought on New Year's resolutions is this: TAKE THE IMPLIED FAILURE OUT OF YOUR RESOLUTION! We seem to have deemed NYR's as cliche and I, for one, don't like it. Why not choose to better yourself in some way starting fresh in the new year? What ever your resolution, tell people with confidence. Maybe the strength in your own voice will give you the boost you need to keep it going. What if this is YOUR year? I especially feel this way about the resolution to lose weight. This particular goal seems to carry with it the most implied failure. I have heard/read people say, "Oh, you know...just like everyone else I want to lose weight [eye roll]." Come on! Stand up for yourself! Stuart Smalley yourself into your resolution if that's what you have to do.

So here are my 2011 resolutions that I state with the uttmost confidence:

1. Run on a regular basis and appreciate any bonus weight I lose doing it.
2. Eat clean and at home more often.
3. Be a happier mommy than I was in 2010.
4. RUN A HALF MARATHON.

What are your resolutions?
SAY IT LOUD AND SAY IT PROUD!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Life is so hard, ma'am. Life is so hard."

I lost it this morning. I seriously lost it. I lost it so badly that I posted this to Facebook: You know what gets me all fired up? The way so many white people treat black people here. I brought Miss to the eye doctor because she can't see. The optometrist is treating her like she's an idiot. Over my dead body will we be buying glasses here. I am absolutely FUMING right now!!!!! They are words that I mean and words that were not well thought out, words that were fueled by absolutely shock and frustration and more shock. Words and frustration that felt the same as if someone had insulted one of my children. I had a reaction that got my blood boiling so hard and fast that I consciously had to keep myself in my chair and say, “Jessie…don’t say anything stupid.” I thought of my grandma Doerfler…I know what she would have done. She would have told that woman WHERE.TO.GO. As tempted as I was, I didn’t. I made Miss an appointment to see the eye doctor because the poor woman can

I think you are, but what am I? No really...

I've been thinking a lot lately about how I measure myself - how we, especially as women, measure ourselves. Let's be honest, part of our genetic make-up as the feminine species insists that we constantly compare ourselves to those around us and, most likely, consider ourselves inferior at all times. Some of it is inate insecurity and some of it is inate humility. Imagine sitting down to lunch with a group of women, your super model neighbor walking in, and saying to your friends (who are undoubtedly admiring her put-together self), "What? I'm way prettier than her." Then your friends' dilemma would be who to hate more, the super model neighbor or you, right? I guess the conclusion I have come to is that comparing myself to other people is inevitable. I just have to make sure I do it in a healthy way. If you're saying to yourself, "I don't compare myself to other people," I am calling you out right now. I would put that in the same category a

Dear 2017, Dearer 2018.

Dear 2017, You were a real asshole and I'm glad you're dead. You chewed me up and spit me out, but incredibly, I came out on top. You tried to break me but I stood up to you. I know you saw the days I cried harder than I have ever cried in my life. You were there for the gossip, rumors, and whispers. You were there when I didn't sleep for weeks. I felt you kick me when I was down...over and over again. But its ok because I know you. You're sneaky and arrogant and insecure and dishonest and two-faced. I recognize you, 2017. What you don't know is that I am a fucking warrior. Not only did I walk out of the fire, but I am also carrying buckets of water for my friends who are enduring the brutal realities of divorce. They are also warriors. Yes, I am glad you're gone, 2017, but I must also thank you. For every time I felt hatred and anger and disgust, I am smart enough to know where to turn when its time to fight back. Maybe you missed the day that my incredib