Skip to main content

A Racing Mind Makes for Long Blogs...Maybe.

Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen. After a wee bit of a pause in my writing I am back and I'd like to thank yoga for that. But before we get to yoga, we have a bit of catching up to do. So let's back up a few weeks...

First, I am happy to report that I hit a PB (personal best) last weekend with a 7.5 mile run! We got up on Saturday morning and Jake took the kiddos out to run some errands so it was just me, my treadmill, and HGTV. There is something to be said for how nicely your brain operates when there is no one saying, "mommy, mommy, mommy..." So here's a really loud shout-out to my husband for being so supportive and helpful. Running has become a love...a real love...not a one night stand like it was in the past. I am attributing that to the time we have taken to get to know each other. No seriously though, there is so much to be said for running slowly (in my case at about a 12 minute mile pace). I can breathe and talk and when I'm done I don't feel like I'm going to fall over dead. Its that high at the end and the feeling that I could have gone longer that keeps me coming back for more. I would even go so far as to say that if you are a person who says, "I hate running. I can't run, etc. etc." then you haven't run slow enough. I just really couldn't care less how long it takes me to run the miles because - really - if you have the cajones to make fun of someone who just ran 7.5 miles - no matter the pace - then you probably aren't a friend of mine. In fact, I probably won't introduce you to any of my friends either...and you probably hate babies or something. So I have been able to stick with running 3 - 4 times per week (I really try for 4) with one long run some time during the week. The other days I am running 4 - 5.5 miles.

Don't hate me when I say this, but I have become one of those annoying people who loves to work out. I used to think they were smoking crack or something. Or at a minimum they have some part of the brain that I was born without. And now I am one of them. That's all I'm going to say about that because I still want to have friends.

Second, I am happy to say that, thanks to www.livestrong.com/dailyplate, I have kept very good track of what goes in my mouth. If you haven't checked out that site, DO IT. Its awesome. As of today I have lost 15 pounds! Can I get an amen? Aaaaaaamen. Anyway, the good news is I'm back in all of my old jeans. The bad news is, they are getting a little baggy on me. I'm not sure exactly how to express this level of excitement in blog format...use your imagination. Let's also here it for reduced friction in the upper inner thigh region. Ladies, I know you'll celebrate that with me! There are definitely still areas on my body of total disdain, but even pre-babies and 10 years ago when I was the size of a yellow No. 2, I had those so I'm trying to look past them and celebrate the wins. I am hoping that a little more of this funny post-baby belly will go away. Its weird...

So all of this happy, happy, joy, joy is great, but I feel the need to also talk about the L column (you know, wins and losses...the L column). One thing that has kicked my tail a bit is the devil wine. I love red wine...and white wine...mmmmmm wine. There have been a couple nights when "over-indulging" has really left me useless the next day and actually, in one case two days (thank you Jones's and Emericks). That statement right there makes me feel like an old person..."I just can't do that anymore..." Let's face it, being a little (or a lot) hung over makes you want to curl up on the couch and snuggle a quarter-pounder, right? I am definitely not one of those people who likes to "sweat it out." I prefer to nurture the day after with food and laziness. My point here is that I haven't learned my lesson and I'm not sure I actually will for a while. I love those nights once in a while and I'm not really sure I am willing to give them up. They usually involve a babysitter, my husband, great food, and friends. I think you have to do or have that indulgent thing once in a while or you're going to get burned out on this whole "healthy living" business. The problem is, its a double whammy (I just spelled, spelled, and re-spelled that about 6 different ways...excuse me Mr. Oxford, can you tell me the proper spelling of whammie, wammy, whammy, wammie?...I digress). You get the additional calories of the wine, food, etc. and then the next day you're less likely to stick to your goal too. Devil wine... In any case, what I have discovered is that even if I go over slightly on one day, when I average it in to the week I am still under my calorie goal and that is what counts.

And now yoga...mmmm...yoga. So I am a big talker about all of the things I want to do and yoga is probably the thing I have talked about for the longest. At the same time, I am a giant chicken and I get really nervous in new situations (thus my resolution to do more outside of that jerk, The Comfort Zone). Because of this, I do a lot of talking and not a whole lot of "walking." Lucky for me, my husband knows about this short-coming and has graciously accepted the role of Chicken Pusher. In other words, he knows that I just need a little push and I'll do it. So for Valentine's Day he got me 11 pre-paid classes, a mat, and a grippy towel thingy and off I went to MidWest Power Yoga. The roads were terrible, I was running a little later than I wanted for the first class (I wanted to get there early and check it out before jumping in), and I was so nervous...I almost turned around and came home...but I didn't. I walked in and it smelled like a clean hippie (as opposed to a dirty hippie...one of the worst smells ever). There was incense burning and a lovely lady sat at the desk and welcomed me like her long lost spirit sister. She took my mat and got me a spot and I was in! She gave me a quick orientation and I was in love - with the yoga, not that lady. That's not really my thing. Anyway, it was (yup, I'm going to say it) life changing. The class itself was amazing even though I was really bad at a few of the poses. I felt calm and energized at the same time. Maybe it was only the yoga, but I think I was also so excited to be doing this thing that I have wanted for a long time and it was outside of my comfort zone. It was freeing to say the least. I can't wait to go back. Now I understand why my friends who do yoga religiously are so crazy about it...I get it now. Thank you Jake, for the best gift ever.

I feel like the older I get the more I am able to be certain of myself, but it is always a work in progress. When I look back on my life so far I see times when I was trying so hard to fit in with whom ever was around me. Even now, at 33, I still catch myself succumbing to peer pressure and I don't like it. People have always described me as having my fair share of opinions, but even those are mellowing a bit. At the same time, there are things that I will stand up for because they are mine and I believe in them. So this is my first proclamation: I LOVE GRANNY PANTIES AND NO ONE WILL CONVINCE ME THAT A THONG IS MORE COMFORTABLE.

Thanks for reading...signing off.

Comments

  1. OMG!!! you are hilareous!!! Don't fall into peer pressure, especially when it's some drunk chick blabbering on and on!!!!!!! Fantastic work on the 15 lbs! You look awesome!!! And of course congrats on the super awesome run and YOGA!!!!! You are an amazing lil athlete!!!!! Xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for blogging, Jessie. I can really relate with a lot of your thoughts; I have a similar inner voice. Thanks for your honesty. I also enjoy the "full coverage" undies. Can't do the thong...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Life is so hard, ma'am. Life is so hard."

I lost it this morning. I seriously lost it. I lost it so badly that I posted this to Facebook: You know what gets me all fired up? The way so many white people treat black people here. I brought Miss to the eye doctor because she can't see. The optometrist is treating her like she's an idiot. Over my dead body will we be buying glasses here. I am absolutely FUMING right now!!!!! They are words that I mean and words that were not well thought out, words that were fueled by absolutely shock and frustration and more shock. Words and frustration that felt the same as if someone had insulted one of my children. I had a reaction that got my blood boiling so hard and fast that I consciously had to keep myself in my chair and say, “Jessie…don’t say anything stupid.” I thought of my grandma Doerfler…I know what she would have done. She would have told that woman WHERE.TO.GO. As tempted as I was, I didn’t. I made Miss an appointment to see the eye doctor because the poor woman can

I think you are, but what am I? No really...

I've been thinking a lot lately about how I measure myself - how we, especially as women, measure ourselves. Let's be honest, part of our genetic make-up as the feminine species insists that we constantly compare ourselves to those around us and, most likely, consider ourselves inferior at all times. Some of it is inate insecurity and some of it is inate humility. Imagine sitting down to lunch with a group of women, your super model neighbor walking in, and saying to your friends (who are undoubtedly admiring her put-together self), "What? I'm way prettier than her." Then your friends' dilemma would be who to hate more, the super model neighbor or you, right? I guess the conclusion I have come to is that comparing myself to other people is inevitable. I just have to make sure I do it in a healthy way. If you're saying to yourself, "I don't compare myself to other people," I am calling you out right now. I would put that in the same category a

Dear 2017, Dearer 2018.

Dear 2017, You were a real asshole and I'm glad you're dead. You chewed me up and spit me out, but incredibly, I came out on top. You tried to break me but I stood up to you. I know you saw the days I cried harder than I have ever cried in my life. You were there for the gossip, rumors, and whispers. You were there when I didn't sleep for weeks. I felt you kick me when I was down...over and over again. But its ok because I know you. You're sneaky and arrogant and insecure and dishonest and two-faced. I recognize you, 2017. What you don't know is that I am a fucking warrior. Not only did I walk out of the fire, but I am also carrying buckets of water for my friends who are enduring the brutal realities of divorce. They are also warriors. Yes, I am glad you're gone, 2017, but I must also thank you. For every time I felt hatred and anger and disgust, I am smart enough to know where to turn when its time to fight back. Maybe you missed the day that my incredib