Skip to main content

Small Gifts.

I hate to keep bringing it up, but the last year of my life has been less than desirable. Devastating. Soul-crushing. Tear infused and physically painful. Confusing. Exhausting. Debilitating. But I learned that, unless you are literally dying, your are not actually going to die. Less than desirable, devastating, soul-crushing, tear infused and physically painful, confusing, exhausting, and debilitating will not actually kill you. At times you wish they would, but they don't. That means you only have the option to survive...and God, survival really sucks sometimes. It is ugly and crude and unshowered and baggy-eyed. It is misspoken words and polite, self-preserving lies. It is smiling with a broken heart. And even when you wish Survival would suck the last shallow breath from you, you will find gifts.

SMALL GIFTS.

At the very lowest point of the last year, I decided to pay attention to the things that were going on around me. There were ten bazillion bad things happening that were each trying to take me down. However, in every single day, there would be a small gift for me if I just stopped to notice. I have a huge box of notes and cards from people I love, each a small gift. Messages and hugs and unexpected contact with people...THE SUN WOULD SHINE. Anything. And looking back now, I realize that, even when 37 bad things happened, the one small gift outweighed them all. I can't tell you the specifics of the shitstorm, but I can tell you exactly how I felt when I got that one note or the unexpected knock on the door or the salad in my mailbox (no seriously). There were times I really had to stretch for it but it happened nonetheless. There was a Wednesday - nacho day on the school lunch menu (a day hated by my middle son) - when I looked in the frig knowing I had blown off the grocery store for my couch and a box of kleenex and seriously wondered how I would pack a lunch with mustard, questionable wilted vegetables, salad dressing, and Coke Zero. Here comes my little Benny out from his bedroom and says, "Mom, I think I want to give the nachos another try." SMALL GIFTS, PEOPLE. In that moment, my sweet little Benny saved me from feeling like the worst mom in the world because I had neglected lunches for my sadness (because Mom Guilt is a real thing even when we don't suck all that bad).

I just typed in the words "small gifts" to search through my email and found this. This is what I wrote to a rather unexpected friend - a small gift in and of itself.

"One more thing…I have to tell you about the “small gifts.” "...I started also noticing that, no matter how bad things felt, something good would happen to me every single day. One day my favorite sheets from Target were on sale. One day I had lunch with a friend whose sister knew a good attorney. One day I got a message from my best friend from South Africa (we used to live there). Every single day of this long, ugly process, something good has happened and I keep calling them the “small gifts.” No matter what happens, they are there. They find me and keep me from feeling like this is all too hard. Your note was my small gift for that day. It made me realize that maybe writing a blog - this thing I love to do - might do something for someone other than me. Maybe I should keep doing it."

There are signs everywhere that point us to positivity if we are open and willing to see them. "Small gifts" has become a theme of this trial in my life and I'm not sure I'll ever give it up. No matter how bad things get, when you open your mind to the good, you will see it more and more. Take stock in the things that remind you how precious this life is. Look for the things that remind you that you are a warrior. Watch for the signs that point to all the good in the world. The universe is cheering for you. You'll be ok. Just keep your eye on the SMALL GIFTS.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Life is so hard, ma'am. Life is so hard."

I lost it this morning. I seriously lost it. I lost it so badly that I posted this to Facebook: You know what gets me all fired up? The way so many white people treat black people here. I brought Miss to the eye doctor because she can't see. The optometrist is treating her like she's an idiot. Over my dead body will we be buying glasses here. I am absolutely FUMING right now!!!!! They are words that I mean and words that were not well thought out, words that were fueled by absolutely shock and frustration and more shock. Words and frustration that felt the same as if someone had insulted one of my children. I had a reaction that got my blood boiling so hard and fast that I consciously had to keep myself in my chair and say, “Jessie…don’t say anything stupid.” I thought of my grandma Doerfler…I know what she would have done. She would have told that woman WHERE.TO.GO. As tempted as I was, I didn’t. I made Miss an appointment to see the eye doctor because the poor woman can

I think you are, but what am I? No really...

I've been thinking a lot lately about how I measure myself - how we, especially as women, measure ourselves. Let's be honest, part of our genetic make-up as the feminine species insists that we constantly compare ourselves to those around us and, most likely, consider ourselves inferior at all times. Some of it is inate insecurity and some of it is inate humility. Imagine sitting down to lunch with a group of women, your super model neighbor walking in, and saying to your friends (who are undoubtedly admiring her put-together self), "What? I'm way prettier than her." Then your friends' dilemma would be who to hate more, the super model neighbor or you, right? I guess the conclusion I have come to is that comparing myself to other people is inevitable. I just have to make sure I do it in a healthy way. If you're saying to yourself, "I don't compare myself to other people," I am calling you out right now. I would put that in the same category a

Something stinks...

...and it’s your attitude lady! I got to pick Ben up a little early from preschool today so I decided it was FINALLY time to visit the Bryanston Organic Market that is right down the road from my house. Why haven't I been there yet? Probably because it’s so obvious. It’s right there. It’s too easy. Anyway, Quinn, Ben, and I made our way through the booths which were filled with lots of little treasures...very cool. After a nutritious lunch of organic chocolate chip cookies and organic gelato (I think we really tapped into the whole organic thing...eat well, live well, blah blah blah), the boys found a sandbox to play in. I reminded Ben not to eat or throw the sand and my accent caught the attention of a lady sitting on the edge of the sand with her granddaughter and Bad Attitude (sorry...didn't catch her name). Lady says, "Where are YOU from?" I say, "north of Chicago," which I have found to be much much easier than saying Wisconsin. No one outside of t