Skip to main content

Guest Writer: Terri and the Fiery Angel

I want to share this message from my friend, Terri. She is a true warrior. She lost her husband at a very young age, with a young son in tow. Her husband was loved and adored as a teacher and as a human. She carried on. She fought hard. I painted the fiery angel with the intention of keeping her. She was me and she represented the new life I have fought for. But when Terri contacted me, I knew that this angel was also Terri and she belonged to her too. See below for Terri's words. Thank you for sharing a little of your story, Terri!


She is beautiful, she was made for me.

When I originally saw her on Jessie’s Facebook page, I immediately thought...wow, she completely resonates with me. Then, as quickly as my first thought came to me, my next thought was “mom loves angels, I will purchase this beautiful painting for her. The day went on and I had messaged Jessie about her. I had screen shotted her and various times throughout the day, I would peek at her. I was completely drawn to her, she took my breath away. And then I remembered the words underneath her on Jessie’s site; “The flames no longer burned as she rose from the ashes, wings still attached. Head held high, she became the light.”

“This is me, this is me! I cannot give her away, she needs to be mine, just for me, “ I thought.
Jessie had gotten back to me in the mean time and I read her reply:

“This message absolutely made my day. Every bit of my heart, soul, and inner strength went into that painting and there few people I would sell her to. When you said you wanted her, it was so obviously a YES YES YES. Life takes us on journeys we never dreamed we would survive. That fiery angel is you and me. For sure. ❤️.”

I became a new woman once again.

You see, I am always a giver, I love to give, almost to a fault. I think of others mainly before myself, how I can help them, make them happy. It was a huge moment of “I am worthy, I do deserve this gift, I overcame and conquered! I am this fiery angel!

Many of us women have been through really sad, painful, heart wrenching moments (or years) in our lives. Through mine, I have learned that I am truly capable of virtually anything. I have loved, lost tragically, birthed, loved more, birthed more, and learned to love again! I live a new normal! I finally feel and see that I “have risen from the flames, wings still attached.” That my “head is held high and I am the the light!” I CAN be a faithful woman, wife, mother, daughter, sister, and friend. I CAN overcome anything, still love, be a giver and be true to myself.

All of this, all because one day, I received this beautiful gift, that was made just for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Life is so hard, ma'am. Life is so hard."

I lost it this morning. I seriously lost it. I lost it so badly that I posted this to Facebook: You know what gets me all fired up? The way so many white people treat black people here. I brought Miss to the eye doctor because she can't see. The optometrist is treating her like she's an idiot. Over my dead body will we be buying glasses here. I am absolutely FUMING right now!!!!! They are words that I mean and words that were not well thought out, words that were fueled by absolutely shock and frustration and more shock. Words and frustration that felt the same as if someone had insulted one of my children. I had a reaction that got my blood boiling so hard and fast that I consciously had to keep myself in my chair and say, “Jessie…don’t say anything stupid.” I thought of my grandma Doerfler…I know what she would have done. She would have told that woman WHERE.TO.GO. As tempted as I was, I didn’t. I made Miss an appointment to see the eye doctor because the poor woman can

I think you are, but what am I? No really...

I've been thinking a lot lately about how I measure myself - how we, especially as women, measure ourselves. Let's be honest, part of our genetic make-up as the feminine species insists that we constantly compare ourselves to those around us and, most likely, consider ourselves inferior at all times. Some of it is inate insecurity and some of it is inate humility. Imagine sitting down to lunch with a group of women, your super model neighbor walking in, and saying to your friends (who are undoubtedly admiring her put-together self), "What? I'm way prettier than her." Then your friends' dilemma would be who to hate more, the super model neighbor or you, right? I guess the conclusion I have come to is that comparing myself to other people is inevitable. I just have to make sure I do it in a healthy way. If you're saying to yourself, "I don't compare myself to other people," I am calling you out right now. I would put that in the same category a

Something stinks...

...and it’s your attitude lady! I got to pick Ben up a little early from preschool today so I decided it was FINALLY time to visit the Bryanston Organic Market that is right down the road from my house. Why haven't I been there yet? Probably because it’s so obvious. It’s right there. It’s too easy. Anyway, Quinn, Ben, and I made our way through the booths which were filled with lots of little treasures...very cool. After a nutritious lunch of organic chocolate chip cookies and organic gelato (I think we really tapped into the whole organic thing...eat well, live well, blah blah blah), the boys found a sandbox to play in. I reminded Ben not to eat or throw the sand and my accent caught the attention of a lady sitting on the edge of the sand with her granddaughter and Bad Attitude (sorry...didn't catch her name). Lady says, "Where are YOU from?" I say, "north of Chicago," which I have found to be much much easier than saying Wisconsin. No one outside of t