Skip to main content

You ARE 40 now.

What am I doing? No. Like, what am I DOING?? For sure laundry. Yes, definitely laundry but only washing and drying it and definitely only folding it when every member of my family has expressed their utter disgust with my lack of laundry folding. Then maybe.

Pinterest. DEFINITELY Pinterest. Constantly searching for "Artspiration." Did I tell you I am an artist now? Well, I am and if you ask me, from now on I am going to call myself an artist. I tried it out at Lowes today and it made me feel super cool.

Guy at Lowes: So what do you do with all this wood? (laughs because that's kind of inappropriate and he's like 19)

Me: I am an artist. [exits lumber aisle feeling like Beyonce].




















Why can I call myself an artist? Because I'm 40 and if I don't start calling myself an artist now, its not going to happen. I'm probably past the days of becoming a super model (although I did have a nice run with Shopko and Fleet Farm for a while...you're welcome).




















Probably not going to the Olympics...but did you see that 41-year-old??? I mean she looked a little stiff but I was cheering her on all like, "You go, old gal! Make the middle-agers proud out there!" May never see that magic number on the scale again. Thigh gap is becoming a leap over the Grand Canyon at this point.

So you gotta do what you gotta do.

What am I doing? What was I afraid of before I was 40 that I am not now? Why does EVERYONE say, "Well, you are 40 now." My back has been killing me for months, I've got a little extra junk in the trunk, and my hangovers seem to require an extra ibuprofen and a burrito, but I am also a little bit less afraid to throw myself out there. I am a better friend at 40 than I was at 30. I still have no patience but my friends don't either and I know now to count on them to make me feel like a "normal" mother. I am super talented in the swearing department which means I am able to shut it off in front of my kids. I am old enough that a discussion about poop can be about adult regularity but young enough that it might include our kids' regularity and potty training too. I am old enough to say that I haven't seen my college friends for 20 years but young enough to know when we meet up in Florida in September we will have way too much fun...in our comfies.

Old people love to tell you how everything goes to shit when you hit 40 and I say, RISE UP MIDDLE AGERS! We may have shit knees and obnoxious kids and cellulite but we are living life the way it should be lived! As my dear friend loves to say, #zerofucks. Don't get me wrong, I got some F's for lots of things but when I have ZERO for stupid shit, it feels really good.

So what am I doing? I am making things in my ARTIST'S studio in my basement (that doesn't sound super glam but you should see it). I am loving my friends harder than ever before. I am parenting the best I can. So yes, I AM 40 now and maybe, just maybe, this is exactly how it is supposed to feel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Life is so hard, ma'am. Life is so hard."

I lost it this morning. I seriously lost it. I lost it so badly that I posted this to Facebook: You know what gets me all fired up? The way so many white people treat black people here. I brought Miss to the eye doctor because she can't see. The optometrist is treating her like she's an idiot. Over my dead body will we be buying glasses here. I am absolutely FUMING right now!!!!! They are words that I mean and words that were not well thought out, words that were fueled by absolutely shock and frustration and more shock. Words and frustration that felt the same as if someone had insulted one of my children. I had a reaction that got my blood boiling so hard and fast that I consciously had to keep myself in my chair and say, “Jessie…don’t say anything stupid.” I thought of my grandma Doerfler…I know what she would have done. She would have told that woman WHERE.TO.GO. As tempted as I was, I didn’t. I made Miss an appointment to see the eye doctor because the poor woman can

Something stinks...

...and it’s your attitude lady! I got to pick Ben up a little early from preschool today so I decided it was FINALLY time to visit the Bryanston Organic Market that is right down the road from my house. Why haven't I been there yet? Probably because it’s so obvious. It’s right there. It’s too easy. Anyway, Quinn, Ben, and I made our way through the booths which were filled with lots of little treasures...very cool. After a nutritious lunch of organic chocolate chip cookies and organic gelato (I think we really tapped into the whole organic thing...eat well, live well, blah blah blah), the boys found a sandbox to play in. I reminded Ben not to eat or throw the sand and my accent caught the attention of a lady sitting on the edge of the sand with her granddaughter and Bad Attitude (sorry...didn't catch her name). Lady says, "Where are YOU from?" I say, "north of Chicago," which I have found to be much much easier than saying Wisconsin. No one outside of t

I think you are, but what am I? No really...

I've been thinking a lot lately about how I measure myself - how we, especially as women, measure ourselves. Let's be honest, part of our genetic make-up as the feminine species insists that we constantly compare ourselves to those around us and, most likely, consider ourselves inferior at all times. Some of it is inate insecurity and some of it is inate humility. Imagine sitting down to lunch with a group of women, your super model neighbor walking in, and saying to your friends (who are undoubtedly admiring her put-together self), "What? I'm way prettier than her." Then your friends' dilemma would be who to hate more, the super model neighbor or you, right? I guess the conclusion I have come to is that comparing myself to other people is inevitable. I just have to make sure I do it in a healthy way. If you're saying to yourself, "I don't compare myself to other people," I am calling you out right now. I would put that in the same category a